If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It's Not Banana Bread Snack Cake


I have never successfully purchased the number of bananas that our family needs. Never. In fact, it's one of those things that I used to try to challenge myself with. Sad, but true. As a former stay at home mom, then mompreneur with my own business, and then back again as a stay at home mom, I had forgotten how sometime as an at-homer, I would try to challenge myself with odd tasks. Yes, sometimes this job is just plain mundane and I've got to entertain myself somehow!

So, back to the bananas. I think this is a law of nature or something. If I buy too many bananas, they sit on the counter until super sweet spotted and end up in the freezer. Buy too few and in a day or two someone will cry, "Who ate the last banana?" Buy the same amount every week for the next year and chart the results (no, I really didn't do this), and you'll get a varied result each week. I guess it all just depends on who is hungry for a banana or if perhaps banana cravings are contagious. I'm sure somewhere in some windowless university lab, a pale researcher is attempting to figure this out.

Anyway, when we have a plethora of overly ripe bananas, they end up in the freezer. My intention is always to throw them into pancake or muffin batter and I do occasionally do that, but sometimes they start to take over every available nook and cranny of my freezer and I have to bake.

Being incredibly busy this summer, I don't have time to think about banana bread, loaf pans, sifting, etc. So, I searched and tweaked this recipe until it came out relatively Point friendly, super easy, and best of all (in the summer), it doesn't require the oven to be on for over an hour like banana bread does.

I will say, though, that when baking it, Young One will follow his nose to the kitchen and then his face will fall and say, "It's Not Banana Bread Cake!" Hence, the name.

It's Not Banana Bread Snack Cake

This incredibly moist snack cake uses bananas in place of the oil, you certainly won't miss the fat, and just a touch of mini chocolate chips will hit that chocolate craving. Makes 24 servings at 3 Points each. Cool and cut into servings before tasting!

1 box yellow cake mix--I'd bet it would be great with spice cake, chocolate cake, and white cake too!

4 over ripe bananas, thaw if frozen (you can zap in the microwave if you haven't planned ahead)

1 egg

3/4 cup water

2/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Dump the first four ingredients (do I have to tell you to peel the bananas?) into your mixer bowl and let it beat on low until combined, raise the speed up until it's just short of splattering your kitchen and let it fly for a couple of minutes. Lower speed and toss in the chips, mix just for a second until combined. Bake as directed on the cake mix box. You may wish to make into cupcakes for better portion control. It takes about 30 minutes or until a kid comes in the kitchen and complains about it not being banana bread, but in the same breath, asks when it's going to be done.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!