If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Five

Sight

I've been reading up a storm lately. Not during the day, but in the cool summer evenings. I'm getting a couple of hours in every night, so I've been reading a lot. Let me catch you up.

The Girls by Lori Lansens

This was another of my hold it to my chest when it's finished while deep sighing books. I loved loved loved this book. Oh, how can I even sum it up with a few lines here? You just have to read it. Rose and Ruby Darlen are born conjoined twins, linked at the head. The story of their lives is told from both of their unique perspectives. I'm not going to say much more here except to say, again, you must read it. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office by Jen Lancaster

I thought there was no way I would enjoy this book. By cover appearance alone, it just looked like a fluff novel and I was in the mood for something meatier. But, this book got to me. The title sums up this author's humor: sarcastic and with a great twist. I loved this book and couldn't put it down. It's predictable, lesson filled ending was still savored.

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

This book was devoured (pun intended) just like the other two. I'm on a roll here with great books. This book was really life changing for me. Take a family, a year, and the quest to eat only locally available foods and you've got one interesting story. Add to that a great deal of information about how seasonal eating can help save our environment and you've got a great read. Knowing and being more conscious about food choices started being more of a priority last fall. Taking this to the next level is a new goal of mine.


Sound

The Best of Arlo Guthrie

I remember seeing Arlo and Pete Seeger at the Minnesota State Fair when I was young. I can still see Pete lounging on an Oriental rug and literally kicking up his heels as Arlo played. We had this CD on vinyl and it was played frequently. I just had to expose Young One to The Pickle Song!

Scent

You know that incredible smell that only happens in the summer when a sprinkler hits hot pavement? Well, it can happen with rain too, but we've been without rain for a while, so we're improvising here! Well, that's the scent I'm appreciating today. It's warm and just a bit humid, but with a great breeze. It's not our day to water, but it's the neighbor's and their sprinkler splashed on pavement scent was a nice catch on the way to the mailbox.

Taste

Grill roasted cauliflower with fresh Parmesan and extra virgin olive oil. It's really nothing more than a head of cleaned cauliflower, chopped and placed on a large piece of foil. Drizzle with olive oil, fresh cracked pepper, and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Roast on your outdoor grill until tender, about 40 minutes. I enjoyed leftovers from last night's dinner with lunch today.

Touch

My Minnesota Grown catalog. It's strawberry picking time and I've been perusing the pages for a farm close by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!