If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Low Fat Banana Bread that Doesn't Taste Like Crap







I know. I KNOW, the title is really not appetizing at all. But, I've been searching for a decent low fat banana bread recipe for ages and this title sums it up. Really, it shouldn't have been this hard. Let me tell you, we've tried some pretty gross experimental recipes. This recipe is somewhat original, but with a little tweaking it suits us just fine. If you're watching your fat and cholesterol like we are, don't be afraid of the butter in the recipe. It's a small amount and much needed for flavor.


*Please note that Sam is in the background working on a Dakota Indian diorama. He went above and beyond what was needed for this project. I was so proud! He's taken to checking his grades online (way more than I do--I think I last checked in before Christmas sometime). He's become so responsible and talks to his teachers if he disagrees with a grade or finds an assigment that appears missing on SchoolView despite the fact that he KNOWS he turned it in. I guess my "be your own advocate" speeches worked! Sometimes, especially during these years, you need a little parental validation that you've done something right!




LFBBtDTLC

4 bananas, peeled and mashed (I just throw them in the mixer and let em whirl)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 TB butter, no substitutes
1 1/2 tsp real vanilla, no substitutes
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup egg substitute or 1 egg or 1/4 cup egg whites
2 TB applesauce (unsweetened is best, but use what you have)

Mix all until well blended. Place in a large loaf pan and bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Variations:
  • add 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

  • dust top with cinnamon and sugar before baking or dust the pan after greasing with cinnamon and sugar

  • add raisins and/or chocolate chips and bake in a 9x13 inch pan as a snack cake (check after 20 minutes for doneness) Sam's friends love this.

  • make in muffin tins for better portion control, add streusal topping to wow and amaze your family

  • use leftover (if there is any) or double the batch and use one loaf for bread pudding

  • I LOVE toasted banana bread for breakfast. You need a toaster oven or use your regular oven, but it's yummy and delightfully different. The toasting caramelizes the bread. Top with orange marmalade... or not.


We always have unpeeled bananas hanging out in the freezer. We use them in smoothies, I bake with them (add to a cake mix, any flavor, with a little water and some egg whites and you've got a wonderful cake). They're a must have for us and a great way to use up the bananas that we don't eat before they start looking nasty. Freezing makes them look even nastier. No worries. The inside is just fine and the peel is the only packaging that they need to survive the freezer.

1 comment:

  1. I found you through the mom blogs. I'm a MN Mama too!

    -Sarah
    http://www.minnesotamamasmusthaves.com/

    ReplyDelete

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!