If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Probably the Best Lowfat Blueberry Muffins I've Ever Baked*


*Bragging as a general rule is not accepted in Minnesota culture, but I'm putting this one out there. We loved them. Enjoy at your own risk. They're so good that portion control is a challenge!

We went blueberry picking with friends last Friday morning, followed by a picnic at Big Marine Park Reserve. Fun day! The blueberries hung like grapes, so picking was very easy. The three boys were especially good at it. The shortest one could get up under the bushes like a champ!

We love blueberries at our house. So, finding ways to use them has not been hard. We ate them fresh all day Friday. We had blueberry muffins and blueberry pie (recipe tomorrow). The blueberry muffins were a hit. This batch was so big there were plenty to freeze to take along on our camping trip.

Amazing Low Fat Blueberry Muffins
Why blogger won't let me use HTML today, I don't know. But, here you go, no spaces no matter what I do. I'm sure you can deal with it.
Makes 24 muffins
Batter:
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup applesauce
1 1/2 tsp vanilla-- I think you could go up to almost a tablespoon
4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups light or fat free sour cream
2 to 4 cups of blueberries
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add wet ingredients (except blueberries) and stir until just well combined. Fold in blueberries.
Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup real butter
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Mix topping ingredients until crumbly.
Line muffin cups with paper liners. Fill muffin cups with batter. I use an ice cream scoop disher to make it easy and to keep the muffins in a uniform size for baking. Sprinkle with topping. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

1 comment:

  1. I love blueberry muffins, although I normally add lemon zest and a squeeze of fresh lemon to the batter - it makes them brighter!

    I may give this a try, but use Splenda! :D

    ReplyDelete

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!