If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Five

Sight

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Oh, this book, this book. I loved it. When I finished it, I held it to my chest and just sighed. I wanted more, but it ended perfectly. What a fantastic look into the experiences of the Afghan people. This book centers on two women, their individual backgrounds and their relationship with each other. I have to admit, I knew very little about Afghanistan. I'm ashamed to share this fact. I mean, we've all watched the news, right? But, this book brings you deep into the heart of the people of Afghanistan and what life was like for them. This was more than a page turner, and I really don't want to tell much more about the story except that YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK. I couldn't read this fast enough, yet I wanted to savor every word.

I plan to read something a little more lighthearted next book as A Thousand Splendid Suns is quite sad. But, you must read it. We all must truly understand what has happened there.

Sound

Dolly Parton 16 Biggest Hits

My best childhood friend shared tickets to Dolly's concert last night. In advance of that, I ran out and picked up this CD. It's a really fun compilation of Dolly's songs. How can you not sing along?

Scent

Chamomile lip balm. Very soothing.

Taste

Iced Kona coffee. By far the best coffee I've ever had. I don't waste a drop, so after I brew a pot, I put the leftovers in a pitcher in the fridge. It reheats very well and tastes great when served over ice with a splash of creamer.

Touch

Pansies. I just deadheaded my Pansy pots and window box. I just love them so much. They're such a sweet, friendly flower, with their little faces. I mixed several colors and kinds on my front porch and I just love how welcoming they are. I tried a new "ruffled" variety this year as accent plants and they look almost like orchids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!