If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

CSA Box Three






This week's CSA box yielded a wonderful harvest. More spinach, beet greens with baby beets still attached, a huge, bright green cucumber, a head of Red Summer Crisp lettuce, sugar snap peas, Swiss chard, cilantro (I put this in the trade box for someone else to take home, we're just not cilantro fans), turnips, and more garlic scapes.

My grandma, the one I call Norman, makes the best fresh cucumber pickles. She works some sort of magic and makes them taste so wonderful. This recipe is close, but not as good as hers. I hope someday I leave behind such a legacy!

Stay tuned for more CSA inspired recipes. I've got some good ones this week!

Fresh Cucumber Pickles
Cucumbers are a free food. Enjoy a big serving. These are great alongside grilled meats, burgers, and dogs.
Sliced cucumbers
Sliced onion, one medium
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup white sugar
1 TB dill (optional, I left it out because Grandma never added it! Delicious!)
Place cucumbers and onion in a bowl. Bring vinegar, water, and white sugar to a boil. Remove from heat and add dill, if desired. Pour hot brine over vegetables and cover. Refrigerate until chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!