If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Celebrations in Small Packages

The best way to lose weight is slowly, and gradually. The old adage, slow and steady wins the race is repeated over and over and over again in the weight loss biz. In fact, I've heard it so many times on the aerobics tape that I do every week that I'd like to punch the speaker.

One of the hardest things to keep in mind is that I didn't just suddenly inflate into fatness overnight. So, it makes sense that it will take a long time to deflate into a healthier weight. It's taken me almost a month now, to really get this. And I mean, really get it. But, I haven't been whining about it!

I read a lot of message boards and blogs about weight loss. Sometimes I just want to scream at some of the people who go on and on about the struggle. The struggle becomes the issue and they don't take the time to celebrate the fact that they're on their way. I know. I know! Everyone takes a different approach and everyone has a different journey that they need to take towards a healthier lifestyle. But, in the same respect, you choose what you put out there. You choose how you wish to look at this challenge. And the choice you make is probably the same choice you make in dealing with any difficult challenge in life.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is this. You need to flip a switch in your mind. And you need to celebrate the small things. So, the number on the scale isn't falling as quickly as you wish it too. What else can you look at to measure progress? Can you take joy in your clothes fitting better or feeling more energetic? Can you focus on the fact that you're on your way to a better lifestyle and that the scale can't measure that? Can you take all of that negative energy and beat it out during a workout?

I ask all of this because I get glimpses of that darkness when I see you reaching out on the Internet. And I chase those contagious feelings away as quickly as I can. Maybe these people need more help than they can get from anonymous internet connections. And maybe they're not ready to take this journey yet. Whatever the reason, I try to stay away from these feelings as much as possible. No, I'm not covering anything up. I'm just refusing to go there.

I've lost 1.3 pounds this week, making me just shy of 10 pounds gone. Slow and steady. I know I can win this race.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!