If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Simmered Apple "Pie"

My dad raised apples. His name was Bob, so I named his orchard, Bob for Apples. What started as a hobby for him became over 350 trees at its peak. As a youngster, there was a point where I thought I couldn't eat another apple, whether it was fresh off the tree or baked in a pie. But, now, as I get older, I can't seem to get through a day without an apple.

Fall screams apples and I've written about my grandma's apple sauce. Being on Weight Watchers, I've risen to the challenge of trying to fit my favorite treats into the points plan. It's actually been quite fun. But, last weekend, it took every ounce of my being not to make my mom's apple pie. In fact, I began to think I could smell apple pie cooking and could almost see them cooling on my counter.

Now, I was not hallucinating from hunger, it was just this serious craving that suddenly came over me. I haven't really experienced this before except for a sad fixation on pizza rolls and cheap frozen pizza when I was pregnant with my son (what was that all about, anyway?).

So, I decided to take a Skillet Apple recipe that I've had in my apron's back pocket for a few years and slim it down. I simmered 2 medium sized apples and ate the whole pan full myself, alone, while watching a movie. It was fantastic! And the pie craving subsided. Figure about 2 points per apple.

I hope you enjoy.

Simmered Apple "Pie"

2 apples--use sweet apples like Honeycrisp (my favorite) or Fuji (my second favorite)
1/4 to 1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp apple pie spice or cinnamon
1 TB Brummel and Brown
a little ginger if you like it

Wash, peel, core, and slice apples. Place pan over medium heat, add apples and the rest of ingredients. Cover and simmer, stirring often, and adding more water if they get dry. Cook until apples are tender, uncover if they're too wet. You can serve topped with low fat granola or crumbled cookie/graham cracker/animal cracker/cereal crumbs if you have more points. You must serve warm for full pie like nirvana.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!