If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Do You Believe in Sabotage?

Sticky Toffee Pudding!
a low fat version
Do you believe in sabotage?

I don't.

I think that people may try, but that ultimately, it's up to you to stand firm. You can't blame anyone for the things you do or the stuff you put in your mouth. The blame game is a very dangerous route to take. A healthy lifestyle isn't just about physical health. Emotional and spiritual health go hand in hand with it.

My delightfully dear neighbor brought over Prune Cake made from a recipe from The Pioneer Woman. I love her even more for doing this. Cause I just needed me some Prune Cake.

Now, that title just doesn't do this cake justice. Prunes conjure up images of constipated Senior Citizens to me. I don't even want to go there.

This cake, oh my, it's amazing. But, if you make it, be forewarned: It has 711 calories and 42.5 grams of fat per serving.

I read that after I ate a piece. AFTER.

If I would have read it before, I would have had a small taste and been satisfied. Nutritionally, it's like getting a piece of really good tasting lard.

I love my neighbor dearly and I know she wouldn't sabotage me. She doesn't have it in her. I hesitate to even write this down knowing that if she stumbled upon it, it would hurt her feelings. So, MEL, if you read this, I know that this was a particularly amazing cake that you wanted to share with your friend. No worries!

This whole train of thought got me thinking about sabotage. Self sabotage or by another person. Do you believe in it? Like I said, I don't. Not that I don't believe that people do try to harm each other intentionally or not. But, I don't believe that you can blame someone else for your actions, especially when it comes to eating or working out.

I don't blame MEL for every, sinful, decadent, delicious, moist, bite of cake. I put fork to mouth. She didn't.

So, back to the recipe. I'm determined to make this lighter. I think it can be done. It's a very sweet, rich cake as it is, so it could do with less sweetener. I'm thinking applesauce or bananas for the oil. Off to the kitchen to start experimenting. I'm thinking this one might take a while.

In the mean time, Sticky Toffee Pudding is a reasonable substitute. This is a lower fat version that is pretty darn delicious. Sticky Toffee Pudding is a recipe from my Scottish side of the family. Nutrionally, the original version is healthy lifestyle suicide.



Sticky Toffee Pudding

Serves 9 at 2 WW Points per serving. You can drizzle with more maple syrup or vanilla yogurt, but those are not included in the nutritional total. I like it just the way it is, hot from the oven. If the dates keep you from wanting to make it, please try it anyway. It tastes like rich, caramel, pudding cake.


3/4 cup Dates (pitted)
1/2 cup Maple Syrup,divided
1 tablespoon Vanilla
2 Eggs
1/3 cup Flour
3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt



Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Simmer the dates for 5 minutes in 3/4 cup water. Put dates and water into a food processor and blend to a paste. Add 6 tablespoons of the maple syrup and the vanilla.Transfer to a bowl, let cool. Mix in the egg yolks, and then the flour. Whisk or beat the egg whites stiff in another bowl, then fold into the date mixture.Put 4 tablespoons of maple syrup in the bottom of a baking dish. Pour the date mixture on top. Cover with tin foil. Put the pan in a water bath. The water comes half-way up the baking dish.Bake for an hour, checking every ten minutes after 30 minutes have passed. When cooked, a skewer or knife will come out of the center clean.Uncover, and run a knife around the edge to help it come out easily. Tip onto a plate, serve hot!


Kiss the cook. This one is yummy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!