If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday Supper

Sunday supper is usually eaten in front of the TV at our house. We're not huge television watchers. I don't have anything against it and I don't limit or censor what Young One watches. I think that's why there's little to no allure to it. I've always felt that when you make excessive limitations on kids, they'll find a way to do whatever behavior you've decided to limit anyway. And, when they're away from you, they aren't able to self limit if exposed to the thing that you're trying to keep them from.

When Young One was little, we taught him about the cues that he should watch for when his body is telling him he needs a break. And that could be a break from reading, time with friends, TV, video games--just about anything. We also taught him that if you have the opportunity to be outside in the fresh air when the weather is cooperating, then you better take it!

One thing that we've always tried to do is sit down at least once a day and have a meal together. On Sundays, that meal is often breakfast. I like to make something simple, but good for Sunday breakfast, to get us gathered around the table. (Since I know, we'll probably end up in front of the TV for dinner!) This morning was blueberry pancakes, real maple syrup, turkey sausage, orange juice, and French pressed coffee.

TV will get in the way of family conversation. That's why we've tried to make dinner in front of it a treat instead of a habit. I'm often surprised by the number of people who've shared with me that they either have a kitchen TV on while they're at the table or that they routinely eat in stages, depending upon activity schedules. Or, they always eat, on the couch, in front of the TV.

We're often surprised at what conversations spark at the table. There's something about making that a safe haven that means so much to me. My family is itty bitty, it's not at all the loud, talk over each other table of my childhood. It's perfect in it's own way.

Sunday supper tonight wasn't fancy. Simple lemon, rosemary chicken that scented the house all afternoon as it slowly roasted. Our weekend was very busy. This kind of meal saves me because after a busy day, I often can't face making dinner.

Lemon Rosemary Chicken

Another recipe, that really isn't. Sorry for not providing measurements, but I just can't. You can't wreck this, trust me.

Take a large chicken, wash and pat dry. Place in a pan. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Quarter a lemon and an onion. Squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken. Stuff lemon quarters and onions in the chicken cavity. You can also place fresh rosemary "twigs" in the cavity if you've got it. If you don't, no big deal. Sprinkle chicken liberally with salt, pepper, rosemary, and paprika. Slow roast for 5 hours. Let stand at least 5 minutes before carving.


I like to serve this with at least two vegetable sides and cranberry sauce.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. love love love meals around the table. On some nights we have to wait until late in the evening after the activites are done but if dad's in town WE ALL EAT TOGETHER! And when he is not in town me and the kiddos eat together. We have some of our best heart to hearts at our dining room table.
    I also enjoy when I have just one of them in the car with me. They start to talk and I can HEAR them and they just go on and on.
    LOVE IT!!
    Love the chicken, I did one almost exactly the same last week, but I'm sure you already knew that I did. (Insert the Twilight Zone music here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so my security word was fluteho, I kid you not!!

    ReplyDelete

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!