If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Would You Like Fries With That?






I'm a burger fanatic. In fact, I'm a red meat addict. I don't eat very much of it anymore. We've been using the venison that D and Young One hunted in the fall. Now, that it is almost gone, I've been looking for more alternatives.

Venison isn't the only healthier red meat. Another great option is bison. We have a ranch a few miles from my house that raises bison. They sell their meat at my local natural foods store and it's amazing. I plan to visit their ranch soon so that I can buy some bulk packs at a discount price.

The great thing about bison is that it tastes like beef, but it's healthier. In fact, it's healthier than a lot of meats. Click here to read up on the nutritionals. It's a great choice for the health conscious eater.

Google bison and your state and you should be able to find a producer close to you.

Back to the burgers. This recipe is really delicious and super simple. I like to make all kinds of burgers and this mix in is inspired by Greek cuisine.


Greek Patty Melts
Serves 4. Each patty is 3 Points. Add in the nutritional information for the bread that you use.

1 large onion, sliced
1 lb lean, ground bison
2 TB Worcestershire sauce
1 TB fresh, minced garlic-- or less
lemon pepper--a generous sprinkling
salt to taste
1 tsp oregano
4 ounces of fat free feta cheese

In a nonstick pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray, place the onion. Saute until caramelized. Set aside. Mix remaining ingredients together and form into four patties. Grill or broil to desired doneness. Toast your favorite bread, top with burger, onions, and feta cheese.










Oven Fries
These were the only kind of fries I ever knew as a kid. There was no OreIda in our house! Who knew mom was so healthy (and not just thrifty!)?
4 large baking potatoes, scrubbed well
nonstick cooking spray
your favorite herbs (I like garlic powder, rosemary or thyme, and paprika)
Cut potatoes into thick wedges. Place in a zip bag and sprinkle with your favorite herbs. Spice them hot or mild, this is a great way to use up spice blends from your pantry. Place in a pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Spray the tops of the fries with nonstick spray. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes, check for doneness. I use my convection oven to crisp them up (note the brown bubbles on the fries in the picture-- convection does this).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!