If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Monday, April 13, 2009

One More Blizzard and I'll Go Postal


Snow in April is not unheard of in Minnesota. We're hearty folk, proud of our ability to withstand freezing temps. It keeps the Riff Raff out. Don't believe me? Check out our murder rate. It's too damn cold to get that mad.

About this time of year though, snow will even piss us off. Two Saturdays ago, we got two inches. It melted immediately, of course. Right after the melt, I discovered these tulips peeking through the mulch. This is a sure sign that we've survived another winter.

Thank God.

Temporary garden centers are sprouting up. Snow shovels are in the clearance section of stores. And you couldn't find a matching pair of gloves for a 12 year old if you wanted to.

We made it through again.

I dusted off the grill (although I do wear my boots to get to it most winters!). This marinade is simple and delicious. We put it on steak, but I bet it would be great on pork, chicken, or salmon too. If the deer eat my tulips, I'll let you know if it's good on venison.

Simple Sesame Grilling Marinade

3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 1/2 TB sesame oil

Place all in a zip bag, smoosh to combine. Add meat. Grill until desired doneness.

Kitchen Tip: If you have a tried and true marinade that you like, make 3 or 4 of them at a time. Freeze the marinade without meat and add it when you purchase. You can also freeze the meat and the marinade together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!