If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Friday, October 9, 2009

Pig Diaries

Wed: "I have a 101 fever, you have to come get me." I hate the fact that I've gotten to know the school nurse so well this early in the year. Major guilt. He was without fever and fine yesterday and this morning. ARRRRRGH.

Wed night, all night: Cough, cough, hack hack, "Mom, I don't feel good." Tylenol, no sleep, ugh.

Thursday Morning: Water in the basement due to husband malfunction (He was repairing the sump pump and left it off. It's been rainy). I told him that if he intended to go to work, leaving me with a mess that he created and a sick kid, that he should be careful what he eats. He took the day off.

Thursday Afternoon: I don't feel good. I'm not hungry. Fever. Fever. Cough. Cough. Fever. "I'm bored." "Do your homework." "I'm not that bored."

Thursday evening: TV. Iron Chef Garbanzo Bean Challenge. (I kid you not.) "Can I sleep in your room?" Slumber party! Kid on mattress on floor. I think I actually slept. Yes!

Friday Morning: Fever. Fever. Cough. Cough. Cough. Half a pot of coffee.

Thankfully, he's a very healthy kid and so, this is probably his "vaccination" for H1N1. I don't want to play into the media pig panic, but it's scary. The flu kills every year and we need to remember that to put all of this into perspective.

Vaccine is hard to come by here in Minnesota and by the time more is available, we all will have had the flu anyway. It's frustrating because there's so much information out there and so much of it is getting slightly skewed by the media just to get better ratings. Do you vaccinate or not? Should you ask for Thimerosal free vaccine if you do vaccinate? Do you need to vaccinate if you've had the disease? And how do you know if you've had the bug their vaccinating for if the doctor's offices are telling you to stay home if you have the symptoms and that they can't test for it anyway?

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I get the flu vaccination every year - me because I am diabetic, him because he has an artificial heart valve - I just never thought to have my teenage daughter get one until this year! She'll be getting both the regular flu and swine flu - but they won't be available in Illinois until the end of October.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh girl, I'm so sorry he is sick again!!

    I get the flu vaccine for all of us every year. I'm not doing the H1N1, and I really don't know why. Maybe it's too new for me. I would like to see a full round of it go out.

    I will be saying prayers for you guys!!

    Jakob and Hannah both had virus's in back to back weeks. 104 fevers but nothing else. Flu checks, strep checks, everything negative. Those all kinds of funkiness going around!!

    ReplyDelete

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!