If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Today, My Little Chickadee, We're Traveling to Belgium

One of my last boxes from Community Homestead CSA

I can dress them up just about any way you'd like, but my guys aren't touching Brussel sprouts. I don't know if it's from traumatic cruciferous vegetable exposure in the past or what, but they just aren't eating them.
More for me, then!
Brussels sprouts can be planted in the early cold Spring months and harvested in that late, cool Fall. I got a picture in my box note of my CSA workers picking them in the snow.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Simple preparation is all fresh Brussels sprouts need.
1 1/2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and yellow leaves removed-- or one large stalk fresh from the garden
1-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place trimmed Brussels sprouts, olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper in a large roasting pan. Toss to coat sprouts with oil, adding by teaspoonfuls to use the least amount of fat you can. Sprouts are ready for roasting when they are slightly coated with oil. Place on center oven rack.
Roast in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, shaking pan every 5 to 7 minutes for even browning. Reduce heat when necessary to prevent burning. Brussels sprouts should be darkest brown, almost black, when done. Adjust seasoning with kosher salt, if necessary. Serve immediately.
Sorry I don't have an after picture of this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!