If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Snowflakes in my Chili




Are you sensing a trend here? I've had snowflakes in my coffee, in my cereal, and today, in my chili.

A snowy day means chili in the crock pot.

Usually this time of year my crock pot is doing overtime heating cider for post leaf raking, warm you up nirvana.

My Favorite Chili

Very low in calories and fat, this chili tastes like Wendy's fast food chili, but better. Makes a huge (6 quart) crock pot full. Be prepared to freeze or eat for days.

2 lbs extra lean ground beef (or turkey)
29 oz can of tomato sauce or 4, 8 ounce cans
2- 15 oz cans of pinto beans, with liquid
2- 15 oz cans of chili beans, with liquid
1 Cup diced onion
1/2 Cup finely diced celery, optional--I add it when I have it
2 cans diced tomatoes w/chili peppers (like Ro-Tel), with liquid
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 small can green chilis (I didn't have 2 more cans of tomatoes with green chilis,so I subbed this and the can of plain tomatoes)
2 tsp cumin
3 Tbs chili powder
1 1/2 tsp black pepper

Cook ground beef, onion, and celery until beef is browned and cooked through and onions and celery are softened. Drain. Place in a large crock pot and add all other ingredients: beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with chili peppers, cumin, chili powder, pepper, and fill to the top with water. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!