If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Grandma's Cucumbers


Grandma taught me to cook by feel. It wasn't something that she specifically talked to me about, she wasn't that type. Grandma just quietly showed me, by her example, how to cook. She still does lead me by example and I love her so much for that.

The first summer cucumbers were a treasured treat. We'd wait with anticipation until they were just big enough to pick, only about 2 inches long, and then Grandma would whip up a batch of her, well, I don't know what to call this. They're not really pickles and it's not really a salad. Let's just call them Grandma's Cucumbers. I don't have enough room in my little garden for cucumbers. One year, I planted some that were a bush variety, but I couldn't find them this year. I found these baby cucumbers at the farmer's market yesterday and couldn't wait to make this recipe.

Grandma's Cucumbers

Some cucumbers--could be a few, could be a lot. Clean them real good. Peel them, or at least score the outside with a fork. Or don't peel them. Whatever you have time for. Soak them in salt water. How much salt? I don't know, sprinkle them real good. Then let them soak. How long? Oh, a good long time, maybe most of the morning or at least a couple of hours. Enough time to do a few loads of laundry or weed the garden and the flower bed.

Then, drain the salt water, but don't rinse them. Add some cider vinegar and not that imitation stuff. How much? Oh a couple of glugs. Add some more cold water and some black pepper. Sprinkle with some sugar. How much? Enough to sweeten them just a bit, I don't know, depends on how many cucumbers you've got. If it's not tart enough, add some more vinegar. Add a thinly slice onion. And then stir 'em real good. Then let them sit in the fridge until supper.

And remember, this isn't a recipe!

Thanks Grandma!
When it gets cooler again, I'll share with you her recipe for Roast Pork, Sauerkraut, and Potato Dumplings (with her world famous, shake your fanny it's so good, gravy).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!