If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I Bought Too Much at the Farmer's Market Stir Fry


Long before Barbara Kingsolver's book (which I just read and enjoyed immensely, see my review), I've been trying to shop and eat mostly local, especially in the summertime. My goal is to do this more and more with each week. Our community's Farmer's Market is so fabulous. It's so much fun to run into friends and neighbors and to chat with the growers. Last week, I got a little carried away and purchased a little too much. This stir fry is something I whip up on a moment's notice at least once a month. I make it with whatever I have on hand. It's former name is Oh Crap, I forgot to Plan Dinner Stir Fry, but I didn't think that was too appetizing a title for this post!

I Bought Too Much at the Farmer's Market Stir Fry

My version was 4 WW points. You MUST put your recipe in the recipe builder in order to figure out your recipe's point value!

This may seem like a no-brainer recipe, but I've been very surprised at the number of people who are intimidated by stir frying and who have told me that they just don't do it. I've cheated in this one using prepared teriyaki sauce, but you can make your own Asian inspired sauce. There are tons of recipes out there or if you'd like to try some of The Ginger People's stuff--feel free--they make great products too! The prep takes longer than the cooking, just hang in there!

Thinly sliced onions.

Thinly sliced peppers.

Chopped broccoli, thinly sliced on the diagonal carrots, pea pods, sliced mushrooms, zucchini-- Just chop to your heart's content! Clean out that fridge.

1 pound cubed or thinly sliced raw meat--whatever you have on hand: chicken, pork, beef, lamb. If you use shrimp, leave them whole.

Soy Vay Very Teriyaki I am never without this in the pantry. A little goes a long way.

You must make sure that everything is prepped and ready to go. So, prep like you're doing a cooking show. Heat a very large, nonstick skillet over high heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add meat and stir fry until done. Remove from pan and cover to hold heat in. Return pan to high heat and toss in veggies. Continually stir frying until vegetables are crisp tender. Return meat to pan and toss to combine. Add 1/2 cup of sauce--more to taste if desired. These sauces go a long way, so be sure to taste before adding more.

Serve with Jasmine or Brown Rice. And add the points value of the rice--I didn't include it in the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!