If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Cinnamon Apple Snacks

Before

After...YUM!

My dad had over 300 apple trees. I was raised around apples, so I know apples! We don't have the orchard in the family anymore, my dad has been gone four years now this October. Apple season always has me thinking of him. He raised the best tasting apples in the world.


Apples are a great snack. Young One was complaining, though, that all the apples in the house were bruised. I didn't want to remind him that he was the one that picked them all out at the market last week! Because I sorted so many apples as a kid, picking them out at the grocery store is easy for me. Young One doesn't have that art down yet! So, I needed to figure out a way to use up these apples, without baking a pie (which I just can't have in the house right now without a little more advance planning).


We love dried apples in our house, so I just took it to the next level by adding some apple pie flavors. I hope you give these a try, they really are delicious.



Cinnamon Apple Snacks

About 1/2 an apple's worth of slices is 1 Point. These take quite a while to make, so plan a cool day to be home. I would imagine you could do in a food dryer as well.



Cored and thinly sliced apples, as many as you need to use up-- I like to slice them into rounds

For every two apples that you slice, you'll need 1 TB of raw sugar (Turbinado) and 1/2 tsp cinnamon or apple pie spice

Nonstick cooking spray



Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. If you have a convection oven, use the convection option and set it at 175 degrees F. Spray cookie sheets with nonstick spray. Place apples in a single layer on the sheets, spray apples lightly with cooking spray. Mix spices and raw sugar and sprinkle evenly over apple slices. Place in oven. Checking every 30 minutes, dry in oven until dried and your desired crispness. It took about 3 hours in my convection oven. I like them slightly chewy. Eaten warm, right out of the oven, they taste just like apple pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!