If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Five

Sight

Land of a Hundred Wonders by Lesley Kagen

Gibby survived an auto accident that claimed the lives of both of her parents. She survived, but she's NQR (not quite right) and now lives with her Grandpa. This book is filled with Southern charm and characters. Set in the 1970s, you get a peek into the way of the world there and then. This novel has a little mystery, a little romance, and a lot of humor. Gibby's inside view of a head injured patient was fascinating to me. It was an easy read, a nice story, and a great way to spend a few hours.

Thanks to Booking Mama for this recommendation. You can follow a link to her blog on the right sidebar of mine.

Sound

Spring Awakening The Original Broadway Cast

Warning, you just might sing along. This isn't one that you want to listen to with the kids around, the lyrics are explicit. This musical is based on Frank Wedekind's scandalous 1891 drama, but kicked up a bit with modern rock music. Teen angst is universal. This musical is filled with "rage, frustration, confusion, excitement, joy, anger, and of course budding lust of those hormone-driven years" (Elisabeth Vincentelli). Unfortunately, this musical is closing on Broadway. I had so hoped I would get to see it.

Scent

Clove oil. I just love essential oils and clove is one of my very favorites. I have some sprinkled on some scentless potpourri and it's making my first floor smell like I'm baking or like those oranges studded with cloves.

Taste

Crustless Pumpkin Pie. So simple and hits that pumpkin pie craving without going overboard. Simply purchase a can of pumpkin pie filling, mix a directed using fat free evaporated milk, and bake in a 9x13 inch pan until a knife comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool and top with fat free Cool Whip. Serves 12 at about 1 Point per serving.

Touch

I got a beautiful hand painted antique plate at a thrift store this morning with my mom. It's muted shades of blue and gold with a Dutch windmill. Very soothing and very well painted. Mom and I love to go antiquing, but we don't like to pay antique store prices, so we go and search garage sales and thrift stores. I also got a great coat for our little dog who gets really cold in the winter and a Puzz3D for Young One.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!