If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

I OD'd on Gravy


We had a delightful Thanksgiving. My brother hosted and it was so delicious, BUT we love our own leftovers, so I ended up making the dinner for our little family on Friday. OK, so we love the idea of our own leftovers until we spend three days eating turkey! I made our meal as Weight Watchers friendly as I could and turkey IS one of the most weight loss friendly foods there is, but, I still OD'd on gravy. I'm sure there are healthier versions of gravy out there, but I only know how to make it as my Grandma taught me--with the pan drippings. Oh well, 'tis the season and I refuse to miss out.

We at turkey almost all weekend. Young One still took sandwiches for lunch today. He could probably eat it every day, he just loves it so much. I'm done, though.
I worked out hard this am (penance?) and am getting back on track. Hence, this tried and true mac and cheese for dinner. I'm looking forward to vegetables (Campbells Green Bean Casserole cannot be considered a vegetable). I'm looking forward to salad. I'm looking forward to a meal that doesn't put me in a turkey induced coma after consuming it. I'm not looking forward to my weigh in on Friday. I skipped last week. I know, I know, not healthy, I should have just faced it, but quite honestly, in all the craziness of taking care of my mom, I forgot!

Still busy taking care of my mom, so this quick recipe fits right in with my day. I hope you enjoy!

Back on Track Mac

Makes 8 servings at 5 WW Points per serving. My version is probably even lower since I use high fiber, Ronzoni macaroni. Young One hates the breadcrumbs on top, so I try to leave a portion uncovered. The breadcrumbs do help keep the macaroni from drying out on top.

12 oz uncooked Ronzoni macaroni, elbow-type
1/2 cup(s) fat-free sour cream
12 oz fat-free evaporated milk
8 oz low-fat cheddar or colby cheese, shredded
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsp dried bread crumbs
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Cook pasta according to package directions without added fat or salt; drain and transfer to a large bowl. While pasta is still hot, stir in sour cream; set aside.
Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles appear just around the edges (known as scalding). Reduce heat to low, add cheese and simmer until cheese melts, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, about 2 minutes; remove from heat and stir in mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Add cheese mixture to pasta; mix well. Transfer to a 3-quart casserole dish.
Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over pasta.
Bake until top is golden, about 30 minutes. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!