If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I'm a Little Late with This One


As you have read, I OD'd on gravy this Thanksgiving, but for some reason, I haven't met my pumpkin quota. Still craving pumpkin pie, I had to come up with something.


Actually, this recipe is the result of buying way too much bread for stuffing. I HAD to make it to use up the bread! It's a very Weight Watchers friendly recipe, coming in at about 4 WW Points per generous serving. (The recipe nutritional information included raisins and I left them out, so actually, my version is probably closer to 3 WW Points per serving) I wish I would have made it for the holiday because it really is delicious. You could add nuts, golden raisins or currents, or dried cranberries might be nice.



Pumpkin Bread Pudding


8 slices whole wheat bread--about 8 cups of any kind of stale bread
1 cup egg substitute or egg whites
2 1/4 cups skim milk
1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Lightly oil a 2-quart casserole dish and set aside.
Crumble the bread by hand or food processor to make bread crumbs.
Combine the egg substitute, milk, pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, spices and vanilla.
Fold in raisins and bread crumbs. I think it's necessary to let the bread soak up the custard for a bit (15-30 minutes). It worked really well to put this in the oven about a half an hour before dinner is done. That way it's cool enough to enjoy shortly after
Pour mixture into prepared casserole and set dish in larger baking dish which has been partially filled with hot water.
Bake 40 minutes to 1 hour (mine was done very quickly) or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!