If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Dear Diary


I had a bright red diary with a gold lock on it. Maybe it was green and I wanted a red one. I think Anne Frank's diary was red. Yep, I'm now officially old enough to not remember what color my childhood diary was. It's in a box of memories somewhere in the house. I really need to go look for it again. I do know for sure it had a gold lock on it. I kept the key in my desk drawer. Probably not the most brilliant of hiding places, especially having two older brothers who were quite savvy at figuring out my hiding places. I wonder if they read it. Hmmm. I'm not sure I want to know the answer to that.

It was a great diary. I tried to keep it updated as often as I could, but I wasn't really good at it. Those times that I did sit down with it were usually filled with angst. Somebody had done me wrong or some pre-teen boy wouldn't pay attention to me. It's pretty much a record of my woes. I didn't often turn to it in times of celebration.

Throughout my diary, I tried out different handwriting. Sometimes I dotted my i's with circles, sometimes hearts, sometimes, in a fit of creativity, I made smiley faces. I practiced my latest crush's last name as my married name. Mrs. Michael Jackson was repeated a few times along with some blurbs about how much our age difference wouldn't have mattered. Every once in a while, I put PhD at the end of my name.

Does anyone actually write a diary anymore? Do they even sell these little books with the locks? I ask because when I found my childhood diary in my thirties, I was almost more interested in my handwriting, the color of the pen that I chose, the stickers and scribblings in the margins as I talked on the phone-- all of these things that can't be seen in blogging. Will today's teenagers be without these historical documents from which they can later, analyze these years of their lives? Will they have any little snippets of their handwriting or their doodling?

One particularly picky teacher of Young One's once commented on his handwriting and that it wasn't his best work. Seems to me he was in first grade. My answer to her, "Well, he's only 6, so I think he has time to perfect it. AND who cares? These kids aren't going to write anyway." I admit, it was the mother lion in me responding to a person who felt she needed to find SOMETHING to pick on (and she WAS a pain in the arse teacher)--but, really. These kids aren't going to write. How many of us hand write anything anymore? In another generation, they'll probably have implantable keyboards on their knees.

I remember one particularly angst-ridden entry in my diary just as clear as it was yesterday. It was all about my Home-Ec teacher and how she criticized my Balloon Rolls. It got me thinking, just what the heck were balloon rolls. Oh yes, a delectable concoction comprised of refrigerator biscuits (those bizarre creations found in tubes), marshmallows, and cinnamon and sugar. I think she was upset with me because I didn't grease my pan and the roll's caramel center leaked and burnt, leaving permanent stains on the pans. We had a horrible nickname for her that I won't repeat here, but it was dead on! Poor teachers who have names that rhyme with bodily functions. She also criticized my sewing--apparently, you have to trim all the loose threads inside your horridly put together duffel bag that you're never going to use anyway because it's so hideous. Once again, I'm rambling.

I'm sharing the recipe for Balloon Rolls here. They're not complicated or gourmet cuisine, but they're easy enough that your kids can put them together and taste like a treat that took much longer to make. They're fun to make at a cabin or on a sleepy Sunday morning. And I bet you could make them in a Dutch oven over a campfire. Who doesn't love cinnamon, sugar, butter, and hydrogenated oils? I make Young One open the biscuit tube--the anticipation of the pop just pushes me over the edge.


Balloon Rolls

Serves 10 at 3 WW Points each. The marshmallows disappear making a caramel-like center.

3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (10 ounce) can refrigerated biscuits
10 large marshmallows
1/4 cup butter melted


Combine sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Flatten biscuits. Roll marshmallows in butter and then in cinnamon-sugar. place one marshmallow on top of each biscuit; wrap biscuit around marshmallows and pinch seams. Place seam side down on greased muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. I dip in more cinnamon and sugar once they're just warm to the touch (painting with melted butter to make it stick).


No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!