If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Friday, October 3, 2008

I Really Need to Lighten Up

So, I'm not going to talk about politics today. I'm not even going to listen to or watch anything having to do with politics. I won't talk about the economy, McCain's or Biden's ages, or the war in Iraq.

Instead I'm just going to smile, change the channel or station, or pop my iPod on. I'm going to go for a walk, enjoy the sunshine (if it's out!), and play with my dogs. I want to talk to a friend about our kids and Paris Hilton and the PTA. I think I may bake a cake or some cookies. I feel the need to knead bread. I want to do something that's positive and happy and homey.

I think we're all in a negative mindset and if you're like me, it's been bringing you down. Let's take a break, shall we? Just for a day.

Bipartisan Brown Bread

A sweet brown bread that would do Boston proud! Serves 12 at 3 WW Points per serving

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups buttermilk

You can add raisins if you wish, but they will increase the Point value. Dates might be nice too.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan, knocking out excess flour.
In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, and brown sugar. Mix in molasses and buttermilk until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake for one hour, or until done. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, and then remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing.
In my pre-WW days I would have served this with honey butter. I need to figure out a way to lighten that treat up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!