If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Friday, August 8, 2008

Roasted Garden Goodness


An abundant tomato and zucchini harvest resulted in this recipe. Even my non-tomato eating husband found it delicious. I, as the harried cook that night, found it so easy that I intend to make it again and again. We ate it as a side dish and then I used the leftovers to stuff tortillas and to toss with some pasta.

Roasting the tomatoes lends them a sweetness you can get no other way. This recipe is definitely worth turning your oven on in hot, muggy weather! Or put the pan on your grill and roast away. You'll need to watch your grill a little closer than the oven.

Roasted Garden Goodness
I am not including the Points value here as it all depends on what you put in it.
Spray a large pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Layer sliced onions thickly on the bottom of the pan.

Top with cored and quartered tomatoes and/or cherry tomatoes and thickly sliced zucchini, yellow squash, or patty pan squash. Mushrooms would probably be delightful.
Sprinkle with as much fresh garlic as you can handle. And then add more.

Top with a little oregano or either your favorite spice or whatever is most handy. If you have fresh herbs--use them! I used oregano as I intended to top my roast with Feta cheese and this is a classic Greek flavor combination.

Season with salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste.
Roast in a 400 degree oven until vegetables are tender and slightly browned-- oh, about 40 minutes to an hour. The onions should be caramelized and very tender, if they're not, put it back in the oven! Remove from oven and top with your favorite cheese. I used Feta. You don't need a lot of cheese. Be sure to measure cheese as it can easily push this recipe over your intended Points value.
This would be a great topping for fish or chicken. Very versatile, I am positive that this would freeze very well, after cooking, in either Zip bags or Tupperware.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!