If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Salmon Davis Junior


Great name, don't you think? I wish I had thought of it. It's just too great not to share it with you and if you don't have the book that it's in, Crazy Plates, you need to get yourself over to Amazon and quickly order it. Used, it's only about $5.00.

We love Salmon at our house. I have several favorite recipes, but this one is my go to when I've got lots of tomatoes in the garden to use up. I have made the sauce in advance and frozen it, which works out great. Just dumping all the sauce ingredients in a bag and then freezing would work too--simply place the frozen concoction in a pan and simmer until thickened and cooked through. I didn't get a decent picture of the finished product, but I thought this shot of the sauce ingredients just starting their simmer, before mixing, was kind of nice. Or maybe it's not. If not, just disregard!

It's a sweet and savory barbecuey sauce that takes a salmon fillet and elevates it to incredible goodness. Give it a try.

Salmon Davis Junior

1 tsp butter
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
3 TB EACH ketchup and brown sugar
2 TB EACH lime juice and Dijon mustard
1 TB chili powder
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp paprika--I use Hungarian
1/4 tsp EACH ground cumin and cayenne pepper
1 whole salmon fillet or 6, 6 ounce salmon steaks

Over medium-high heat, melt butter in nonstick pan, add all ingredients except salmon, reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Transfer mixture to blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Let cool. I would bet that you could skip the puree part of the recipe and just let it cool, which would result in a more rustic sauce. I puree it mostly to hide what's in it for Young One who's onion-phobic. Place salmon in a large glass pan or in a large Ziploc bag and cover with marinade. Cover or close bag and refrigerate for at least an hour. Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Spray a large sheet of heavy duty foil with nonstick cooking spray (or use nonstick, heavy duty foil). Place foil on preheated grill and top with salmon fillet. Cover grill and cook until salmon is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. You may also broil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!