If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Monday, December 8, 2008

Our Fiscal Fast Day Four

Here we are on day four of our Fiscal Fast, seven days, without spending any money.

This has been such an interesting experiment for our family. I have a feeling we're going to do this again and again. Maybe not for a whole week, maybe the next time we'll shorten it up. So far the benefits have been:

  • Cleaning out the cupboards, the refrigerator, and the freezer.
  • Using our brains and not our money for entertainment
  • Being more resourceful
  • Young One has learned tremendous things so far. I'll detail more at the end of the week, but I think he's looking at money and how he entertains himself in a very different way.
  • And the bank account is looking good!

The biggest thing I've noticed so far, is that we spend a little here and a little there and it all adds up. I was in a huge rush to get out of the house this morning. If we weren't on a spending freeze, I would have grabbed an Egg McMuffin and coffee at McDonalds. That's something I rarely do, but I just didn't have the time to eat this morning. I didn't though. I grabbed some cinnamon raisin bread and after dropping Young One off at school, toasted it at my mom's house. I had to take her to two doctor's offices and to a medical supply store this morning. When I dropped her off at the first doctor's office, she suggested I go shopping for a bit. I probably would have if I wasn't on this fiscal fast. The other day when we were out at the library, we headed home to have lunch. Quite often when we're out as a family on the weekend, we'll eat at a restaurant and/or buy snacks. Trips to stores for quick errands can result in impulse buys. It just all adds up.

I think I will be much more conscious of that kind of spending now.

This has been a good thing for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!