If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

There's Nothing Better than a Homemade Gift--Pumpkin Butter


Got a few minutes and need a few last minute gifts? I'm going to post a few quick recipes and ideas over the next few days. Time is short here, as I'm sure it is where you are!

I whipped this Pumpkin Butter together in about 5 minutes last night, and let it simmer for a half an hour. Cool, place in cute jars, label and it's done. Delicious on toast, muffins, waffles, cornbread. YUM.



Pumpkin Butter


1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree--I used the pumpkin puree I made from this year's jack-o-lanterns
3/4 cup apple juice--I think apple cider would be much better, but I didn't have any!
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves--I didn't have any and the store I went to was out, so I substituted apple pie spice from Penzeys (which if you haven't checked them out, please do! Great spices!)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg


Combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices, and sugar in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently.
Transfer to sterile containers and chill in the refrigerator until serving.
Pecan Pumpkin Butter Appetizer Dip
So delicious, your guests will wonder what the secret ingredient is!
8 oz cream cheese
6 TB pumpkin butter
1/3 cup chopped pecans
2 TB crumbled, cooked bacon pieces
2 green onions, finely chopped
Beat cream cheese with pumpkin butter until smooth and creamy. Mix in the rest of the ingredients. Refrigerate or serve immediately. Serve with crackers or pretzels.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!