If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Housewife--Stretch a Buck
Homemade Chicken Broth


Watching your pennies and your waistline? You've got to make your own chicken broth! You can freeze it in ice cube trays or larger containers. I like to use the ice cube trays that I've picked up in the free boxes at garage sales. That way, I can pop out a few cubes to add to cooking veggies. You won't believe how great they taste with this little addition!

I use chicken broth to cook wild or white rice in. I use it to start soup on a busy day. Cook potatoes in it or add to potatoes as you're mashing them and they taste great without additional fat.

Always a cheapskate, I have a hard time purchasing something that I can so easily make on my own. After we have roast chicken, I always make soup or broth from the carcass. If I don't have time that week, I'll throw the leftovers in the freezer for another time. The spices you've used to roast the bird taste great in the broth!

You can make broth in the crock pot too, which is great if you have to be away during the day.

Chicken or Turkey Broth

One chicken or turkey carcass
2 bay leaves
one chopped onion
garlic--lots or little, you decide
3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
several stocks of celery cleaned and roughly chopped
water to cover

In a large stockpot or crock pot add all ingredients. Cover and simmer on low on the stove top several hours or on low in your crock pot for 8 hours. Strain and refrigerate until fat rises to the top--or use a gravy separator to remove fat. Label and freeze. If you're placing in ice cube trays, freeze until solid and then store cubes in zip bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!