If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Monday, February 23, 2009

The Five



Here's what my five senses have been experiencing!



Sight

The Lace Reader: A Novel by Brunonia Barry

The Whitney women read the future by gazing intently through pieces of lace that they make themselves. Each is gifted with this second sight and each has their own story. Towner Whitney is the central character of this novel. There's something not quite right about her. She's just had surgery and is going home to Salem, Massachusetts to recover. Her Aunt Eva, whom she's been extremely close with and who she plans to stay with, drowns under mysterious circumstances. Towner begins to investigate her death with the help of police officer John Rafferty, and a romantic relationship develops . The story is woven just like lace, with twists and turns raveling and unraveling until the whole pattern is finally seen.

I adored this book. It was one of those that I clutched to my chest and wished for more once I was finished. In fact, I had a hard time letting these characters go and was thrilled to find out that Barry has written another book, Bone Lace, with the same characters, due out sometime this year. I've already requested that my library purchase it and can't wait to read it.

Sound

Elton John - Greatest Hits 1970-2002 by Elton John

It's Elton John. Nuff said.

(I could scrub tile off my shower listening to good music and Elton helps me get it done.)

Scent

French pressed coffee. Really, this is the best way to make coffee. It's so strong it's thick!

Taste

Homemade raisins.

Now don't freak out. I'm not completely weird. Notice I said completely.

I can never buy the right amount of grapes at my house. Either they get gobbled up or they sit untouched. I don't like to be wasteful and we had a big bowl full of grapes that weren't looking their best anymore. So, I decided I would pop them in the dehydrator and see what happened. They're delicious. And they used up the sad, wrinkly grapes that I would have thrown out otherwise.


One of my favorite (and very filling) breakfasts is oatmeal, raisins, pecans, and cinnamon. I usually stir a little raw sugar in before I top it. Yummy.


Touch

Fabric to recover our dining room chairs with. I've been looking at this fabric for a few years (yes, I'm funny that way), but I could never justify $34 a yard for it. The chairs are antique (so is the table). I paid $20 for all six chairs at a garage sale. I love them, but they came with pretty ugly fabric on the cushions. We've lived with them because I was hoping to find antique, needlepoint cushion covers, but I've never found them in a price that I can afford. The fabric matches our living room furniture and I was thrilled to find it in the remnant bin at the fabric store. I paid $14 for 2 yards!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, here are mine:

    Sight: Currently looking at a "POST A COMMENT" form.

    Sound: TV blaring in the other room. I want the TV to go away.

    Scent: Mmmmm... bacon.

    Taste: That reminds me, I still need to brush my teeth.

    Touch: I guess I'm touching my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the list (and Charlie's too!).

    And you're inspiring me to think seriously about a dehydrator. There's nothing more frustrating that not getting to fruit before it goes bad, and I love the idea of rescuing more of it. So the raisins came out well, huh? Good to know!

    And I have to admit, I love Elton John too!

    ReplyDelete

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!