If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Litter of Babies that Everyone Keeps Talking About

I've about had it with the discussion of the Octuplets. I guess what I'm trying to say is they're here, let's deal with them. Each one a perfect miracle, we can't continue to discuss how they got here, the motives of the people that brought them to be. It's not for us to debate this, the decision was already made nine months ago.

To each his own, I'm often heard saying. And I really believe that in all things. Gay, straight, work outside the home, stay at home, Muslim, Mormon, or Catholic, I really don't care as long as you're not hurting anyone else. It's being talked about how embryonic implantation should be legislated. Just another case of trying to legislate common sense and we all know how that doesn't work.

We don't know the whole story of this woman and her very large family. I'm assuming that she'll do Oprah or Barbara Walters will have her crying on some couch very soon. Perhaps there will be book deals or a reality show.

There have been entire panels debating the ethics of a doctor willing to implant so many embryos. There have been call in radio shows, the last one I flicked off when a caller implied that she heard from a very good source that the woman had conceived these children in order to sell them.

Could I have left my frozen embryos in storage indefinitely? I'm not sure. Do I think it was irresponsible of a physician to implant that many embryos? Yes. Do I think this happens more times than we'd like to believe? Yes. Could I selectively reduce the number of fetuses, trying to figure out which heart to snuff out? No.

Let's wait and see if we hear the entire story. And if we don't, then let's just let it go away so that this woman can start building her life around all these new bundles of joy. Yes, the medical expenses are staggering, but I also know that the hospital could write it all off in the name of good PR. They've gotten more than their fair share of that in the past few days. I also know that health care costs are absolutely staggering and unfair and that so much of that "expense" could be eliminated.

What do you think?

Peanut Butter Energy Bars
I was going to call this recipe Mother of Octuplets Survival Bars. She's going to need a lot of energy, that's for sure! I make these, individually wrap them, and stash in the freezer. Great grab and go snack. 4 WW Points per bar.

1/2 cup(s) chunky peanut butter
2/3 cup(s) corn flakes, crushed
3 tbsp honey
1/3 cup(s) nonfat dry milk

Knead ingredients together. Form into 6 sticks and wrap individually in wax paper. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!