If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Souper-bowl


I have to apologize. Up until about ten minutes ago, I had no idea who was playing in the Super Bowl. And it took, the ten minutes I just mentioned to figure out who it was by searching the Internet. Almost every website I went to basically just said, "Duh, you don't know who it is, everybody knows who is playing. We don't even have to mention it here. We just have to say Super Bowl with a bunch of Roman numerals after it and everyone just knows." I guess I'll cheer for the number X.

I'm just not a sports girl. I'll tolerate attending a game, but mostly for the nachos, hot dogs, and people watching. I just don't get it. I remember in high school all the jocks I hung out with. Great guys. Are they playing their games now? No. I just don't get the point of chasing a ball and spitting and scratching. It took me a long time to get to this point. Got tickets to a game? Don't ask me to go. I'd much rather clean my garage.

I debated whether someone like me should even spend a moment writing a post about the Super Bowl, but then I figured, there just had to be others out there like me. And like me, you probably have a hand in getting the football snacks lined up. If so, here you go.

Super Bowl entertaining? I had a friend who had a party once and she served a variety of hearty soups. That and a bunch of simple appetizers and the crowd was extremely pleased. She served chili, split pea soup, and a rustic chicken noodle. All were made well in advance of the party and she just reheated them in crock pots. I think this is a brilliant idea. Soup is filling and, unless it's cream based, is usually very Weight Watchers friendly.

We eat homemade soup or stew at least once a week at our house during the winter. This is one of our favorites. It's really not a pretty soup, but it's very yummy. Enjoy.



Split Pea Soup
As a kid, I always wondered, who had to cut all those little peas in half! It's ugly soup, but it's delicious. Serves 7 at 5 WW Points per serving.

2 1/4 cups dried split peas
2 quarts cold water--I always use a lot more
1 1/2 pounds ham bone
2 onions, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pinch dried marjoram
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 potato, diced




In a large stock pot, cover peas with 2 quarts cold water and soak overnight. If you need a faster method, simmer the peas gently for 2 minutes, and then soak for l hour.
Once peas are soaked, add ham bone, onion, salt, pepper and marjoram. Cover, bring to boil and then simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Remove bone; cut off meat, dice and return meat to soup. Add celery, carrots and potatoes. Cook slowly, uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!