If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Five




Here's what my five senses have been up to:


Sight


I realized half way through this book that the reason I was having trouble following parts of it was because this isn't the first time Ms. Atkinson has written about some of these characters. Duh. Oh well, it was a great read nonetheless.

This book centers around several characters and how their lives intertwine. Joanna Mason is the only survivor of a brutal attack that leaves her mother and siblings dead. Thirty years later, Joanna is now married and is known now as Dr. Hunter. Reggie is Dr. Hunter's nanny. She's the only one that seems concerned when Dr. Hunter disappears. Jackson Brodie (the character that Atkinson has featured in two other novels), is almost killed in a train crash. Reggie saves him and in the process it's discovered that he now has the identification of the person who attacked Joanna's family thirty years before and who was just released. Brodie helps Reggie search for Dr. Hunter while at the same time, his former love, Louise Monroe begins to investigate as well. Amazingly, all these story lines intertwine and you're able to keep them straight thanks to the brilliant writing of the author. Just when you think you've got it all figured out, Atkinson surprises you.

Great read. I will definitely read more of her work, hopefully in the order with which they were written.

Sound

I Tunes Originals--Alanis Morissette
Alanis, oh how I love your angry lyrics. These tracks are interspersed with interview tracks explaining the songs and how they were written. Great insight into this artist. And the new recordings are fantastic. If you love Jagged Little Pill, you must get this one too.

Scent

Dr. Bronners Peppermint Castille Soap I love these products. I can't remember how long I've been using them. Either it's been a long time or I'm getting old. Or both. Dr. Bronners products are fantastic. Being a cheapskate, I love that a little goes a long way. I use a tablespoon plus water to fill foaming hand soap dispensers. I use a tiny dab to wash my hair or put on a body puff for my shower. The scents are natural and delightful. Peppermint is my favorite and I use it in the shower as much as I can. It really wakes me up! A 32 ounce bottle lasts forever at my house. Visiting their website, I see that their gallon jugs are a few cents cheaper per ounce than what I've been purchasing. I'll have to try that next.

I do like their bar soaps too. All in all, you can't go wrong with their products. There are so many uses.

Taste
Leftover Sausage and Peppers.
Really, this is another of my recipes that is not a recipe. Chop stoplight peppers (red, green, and/or yellow. I suppose you could use an orange one if you want, but then what would I call them? Hazard light peppers?) Chop a big onion. No precision needed here, the more rustically you chop them, the better (and the easier). Heat a big pan over medium high heat, spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add veggies. Add Italian turkey sausage, hot or mild. And saute until veggies are tender and sausage is cooked through. 4 WW Points per serving. Put on light wheat buns if you wish, but be sure to add the Point value of the bun.
Sorry I don't have a picture of the final product, but we were too hungry and Young One refused to wait until I got all snappish with the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!