If you're looking for Olson family updates, then visit our family blog, I Love You Same.

The rants and recipes found here are solely mine.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ginger, Marianne, or Gilligan?


Out for coffee with friends the other day, I ran smack dab into a generation gap. We went to an upscale Scandinavian bakery in our area. It's a great place to get a pitcher size mug of your favorite Joe and to practice resisting temptation. The bakery is amazing.

I was the first to arrive, so a snagged a table and got in line. I struck up a conversation with the women in line with me, I knew one of them from Young One's preschool. We were discussing the tempting line of heart shaped cookies in the case, each flavored lemon, strawberry, or ginger. My acquaintance mentioned how much she loved ginger. As we approached the front of the line, I quipped that I always wanted to be Ginger, but I was usually Gilligan most days. We all laughed.

The young girl working the espresso machine with the odd piercing on her upper cheek (ouch) wanted in on the fun. We told her we felt her cookies should be named after the Island's occupants. "You mean Lost," she asked. "No, Gilligan's," I informed her. Blank stare. Blink. "Is that near Fiji?"

Ugh. I think that officially means I've crossed that invisible line between the generations. Not only am I unable to understand the intricacies of video games and iPods when Young One waxes on about them, but I'm now unable to communicate with the 20 somethings.

This recipe is from Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa. I adore her. Never trust a skinny cook, I've always said. Ina makes absolutely delicious food with a focus on simplicity and fine ingredients. Her recipes aren't all Weight Watchers friendly, but this one is. You must have at least two of her cookbooks, really worth the investment. Or if you're strapped, hit the library.


Honey, I Love Ya, Chicken
aka I Always Wanted to be Ginger Chicken
or I'm more like Gilligan Chicken
You can make this with boneless skinless pieces or a whole cut up chicken. Points will vary depending on what pieces you use. I like to use skinless chicken thighs. They're cheap and they come in at about 3.5 WW Points per thigh. Serve with Jasmine rice, mixed salad tossed with sesame ginger dressing, and steamed Asian veggies.

8 pieces of chicken
1/2 cup honey
2 TB minced garlic
2 heaping TB minced fresh ginger--I used minced ginger in a jar found in the Asian foods section (don't use Marianne or Gilligan)
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup green onions, chopped (optional)
sesame seeds (optional--will increase Point value)

Mix honey, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. Pour over skinless chicken pieces. Allow to marinate in refrigerator at least eight hours. Turn several times while marinating. Bake at 350, covered for 30 minutes, uncovered for 30 minutes. Watch closely, basting several times while cooking. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds (you can add the green onions to the marinade if you wish).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I triple dog dare you to comment.

Taking a little time to play with words, to play with food, and just to play!